Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LOZ Dungeon Graph
Planning is everything when making a good dungeon, and understanding the choices your giving the player is very important to keep in mind when constructing your dungeon. Nobody wants to play a super linear dungeon. A great way to keep up with what your constricting is to use a graph, and there's already a really good graph made by "Mark Brown". The way the graph works is nearly flawless. Watch to learn more...

I manged to peace together all the icons from his video in to this zip. Theirs 2 files; one for Photoshop and one for Paint.Net. Every things already in a layered file for you to start planing your dungeons. simply make your lines and copy and past from the "COMPONENTS" tap.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/799p1z6pw8...emplet.zip

Also, I feel its very important that every mapper watch Mark Brown's Boss Keys Videos. Its Basically him analyzing the dungeons in all the Zelda games. Its good stuff.

Boss Keys: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...NsYY3NA5B2
Nice! Thanks for the resources, they'll definitely help me out. I do remember watching these videos a little while ago, though I should watch them again since I'm currently designing a dungeon right now.
(01-23-2018, 10:07 AM)sairugoth Wrote: Planning is everything when making a good dungeon, and understanding the choices your giving the player is very important to keep in mind when constructing your dungeon. Nobody wants to play a super linear dungeon. A great way to keep up with what your constricting is to use a graph, and there's already a really good graph made by "Mark Brown". The way the graph works is nearly flawless. Watch to learn more...

Mark Brown's videos are a great learning tool and I'm glad I'm not the only one watching them lol. Although, it's good to keep in mind that he clearly has a bias against linear dungeons. His videos would have you believe that their less enjoyable because he really focuses on the layout of the dungeon and kinda skims over the actual puzzles and content within them.

Like, he praises the Water Temple for it's depth and complexity, which I agree with, conquering that dungeon definitely feels rewarding lol, but he calls the Shadow Temple a bad dungeon because of it's linearity, which just isn't true. The Shadow Temple had tons of memorable moments and a great boss at the end; definitely way simpler, but still a fun experience. 

To me, it really depends on how much effort and resources you want to put into making your game. There are different ways to make a dungeon enjoyable. A game with just complex dungeons or a game with just linear dungeons won't ever be as good as a game with a mixture of both (which is probably why Ocarina had both the shadow and the water temples in the first place tbh.)

That's just me though. Mark Browns video's are still great. I can't even code, why am I here lol.