Hello all, this is my first (almost) completed mod for OoT. It is quite simple, and not very long or complex at all. Tbh, it is a bit rough around the edges. This is a remake of the first dungeon from the first Legend of Zelda game. I made this as a proof of concept, and it’s not really meant to be taken too seriously as a super deep dive into OoT dungeon design. That said, it is fairly faithful to the source material, but, just so you’re not too disappointed, the end is very lackluster.
This is more of a short tech demo than anything, and not something I’d make into a full mod. I enjoyed the process for the most part, but there are some limits of OoT’s engine that make this kind of thing not that great in some regards. OoT was also never really meant for fully top down areas. The biggest limit was the amount of cameras per scene used for room to room. I do not know if, or how this can be expanded or changed.
Before you play, keep this in mind:
- This is not fully finished, and currently only works with MQ Debug, and there is no boss. I’d like to support 1.0, but dunno how yet.
- Other than that, it is effectively finished.
- If you die, save and reset, cause you might get death crash.
- I wasn’t able to get the music changed, so it uses vanilla music.
- I had to use flame circles since iron bar doors permanently mess up the camera.
- If you exit the boss’ room you will get a weird camera glitch, but it doesn’t effect anything and reverts quickly. Once finished, you won’t be able to leave the boss room anyway so it won’t matter.
- The hack is basically done/ over once you get to the boss room (no boss yet)
Grab the patch file below. It’s a PPF patch so you will need PPF-O-Matic to patch your uncompressed Debug ROM.
Tools used, and credits:
Sketchup – Modeling and texture.
SharpOcarina – Building the dungeon, and placing it in the game with all the stuff.
HxD – Small hex edits.
MS Paint – Just to troll graphic purists/ texture editing.
Nokaubure: Maintaining Sharp Ocarina, and helping me a lot in general.
DezZival: Converting the Minish Cap Royal Crypt song.
CDi-Fails: A TON of help with general OoT stuff.
mzxrules: Explained a lot of technical stuff.
MelonSpeedruns: ASM hack for the subscreen delay fix.
doncamilo: Advice and support.
Psi-Hate: For running HylianModding.